Most people adore honey but did you know that you can do so much more with it than just eat it? Not only can you use it to cook with or sweeten your tea or coffee but you can harness its superpowers to improve the appearance and health of your skin.
Honey is excellent for your skin because of its many positive properties. It contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and C. It is also rich in the minerals calcium, chlorine, iron, magnesium, phosphate, potassium, sodium, and sulfur. Also, it has excellent antifungal and antimicrobial properties that kill bacteria that can lead to skin breakouts and irritations. Honey’s anti-inflammatory properties will calm redness and irritation. Raw, natural honey is always best to use because it hasn’t been heated. All the extra benefits of enzymes and antioxidants remain.
Honey is a natural miracle worker for your skin! You can use it to moisturize, remove wrinkles and as an all-around anti-aging remedy. How is this possible? Honey is a natural humectant (it attracts and retains moisture) that definitely keeps your skin soft and supple. The antioxidants in honey also help to protect you from damaging UV rays. Cleopatra is reported to have regularly taken a milk and honey bath to maintain her youthful appearance.
Homemade Facial Scrub
There are many powerful nutrients, antioxidants, and enzymes found in raw honey that make it an excellent base for exfoliating or taking away dead skin cells. It helps to rejuvenate your skin and aids in preventing pimples and blackheads by unclogging the pores. Here’s an easy recipe for a facial scrub using honey that you can make at home.
• 1 teaspoon white sugar
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1. Mix together ingredients in a mall bowl using warmth from fingers to emulsify coconut oil until well mixed. Apply mixture to face including lips and avoiding eye area, rub gently in circular motions for 2-3 minutes.
2. Rinse off gently with lukewarm water. This scrub not only makes your skin soft and smooth, but it is also delicious. After using this scrub, I like to apply a little coconut oil along my upper cheekbone to moisturize.
Do you have dry, parched skin? Here’s a way to have perfect hydration:
• The answer to this common situation is to use it raw (as-is and unpasteurized) and apply to your clean and dry skin.
• Leave this on your skin for 15-20 minutes; rinse off with lukewarm water.
This provides perfect hydration for your dry skin. Honey is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air) and allows moisture to be easily absorbed into the skin. It also stops further drying.
Honey has been used through the ages as an easy addition to bath water. There’s no need to buy pricey potions to make a luxurious soak in the bath. Try this simple recipe to have glowing, hydrated skin.
• Take a cup of hot water and mix in some raw honey. Add this to your bath for a healing and hydrating treatment for your skin.
Be Kind to Winter Skin
Here’s a great way to get your skin in tip-top shape after the wintry cold and drying effects.
• Mix 1 Tbsp. of honey with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and a dash of lemon juice.
• Put on your elbows, knees or on any rough patches and leave on for 20 minutes, like a mask for your body. Rinse thoroughly.
There are so many ways to incorporate honey into a natural skin care routine because of its wonderful, skin-saving properties. Always at hand, it helps with aging, skin clarifying and softening as well as boosting your complexion.